Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fighting Back Together and Never Ever Giving Up Hope

Cancer NEVER sleeps.
                                  So neither did we.


For 24 hours, the USD community camped out on and walked around the Valley Field in support of the American Cancer Society through Relay for Life.  The event raised over $40,000, but more importantly, it raised awareness within the community about cancer.

 I participated on the Alpha Chi Omega team and we were able to raise $4,575 as a team!  We had the second largest team total at Relay.

Earlier in the week, I organized a fundraiser at Urbane Cafe which is down the road from campus.  A bunch of students came out to eat sandwiches and support a good cause, and through that we were able to raise $400.  


This event is really special to me, because I currently know someone who is suffering through Breast Cancer.  I walked in support for her.  Many of the other girls in my sorority, as well as all the other supporters of Relay, had incredible stories and reasons for why they were there, so it was nice to see the USD community working together and supporting each other.

Being out there was a nice change to the typical Friday night routine.  My friends and I played volleyball and soccer on the field and teamed up with some of the boys from Beta Theta Pi to literally "relay" for life around the field.  It was fun, but made me realize that I am way too out of shape to be sprinting!

 On Saturday morning, our friend Jesus, aka DJ Swish, played at the event.  He did a great job and got everyone pumped to circle the track.




The Asian Student Association also had participants make a 1,000 paper cranes that will hopefully be hung up in the Student Life Pavilion to raise awareness for the American Cancer Society and to be displayed as a sign of hope to those currently fighting the vicious illness.




Overall, the event was a huge success in not only raising money, but getting people involved. 
Although this was my first time participating in a Relay, I can't wait to walk again next year.